- Blood Coordinating Program
Blood Coordinating Program
In December 2005, the Department of Health and Community Services established a Provincial Blood Coordinating Program to help ensure that blood components and blood products are utilized in a safe and efficient manner. The Program provides leadership and support to the Regional Health Authorities (RHAs) and Canadian Blood Services to ensure blood components and blood products are managed safely and effectively for all health care recipients.
Mission / Vision
The Mission of the Provincial Blood Coordinating Program is to support through leadership and collaboration, the delivery of a safe and cost effective Transfusion Medicine Program for patients within the provincial health care system.
The Vision of the Program is:
- to establish and maintain a program to optimize the utilization of blood products and their alternatives;
- to establish and maintain a surveillance program for adverse reactions and major errors related to transfusion medicine; and
- ensure Standards for Blood and Blood Components are implemented and maintained throughout the province as it relates to blood transfusion therapy.
The Provincial Blood Coordinating Program Office:
- Serves as liaison between the RHA and the Provincial Government regarding Blood Product Management.
- Acts as facilitator in the development of Quality Systems with the objective to meet compliance requirements set out in the CSA Z902-10 Standards for Blood and Blood Components and the Canadian Society for Transfusion Medicine Standards for Hospital Transfusion Services.
- Acts as Chair/Co-chair on the Provincial Blood Reference Group.
- Participates as a member of the Transfusion Committees for the RHAs when requested.
- Acts as coordinator to collect data on the utilization of Intravenous Immune Globulin (IVIG) within the province, compile data received and liaise with the IVIG Atlantic Collaborative Working Group to compile reports on utilization.
- Is a member of the National Technical Working Group for the Public Health Agency of Canada’s Transfusion Transmitted Injuries Surveillance System (TTISS) program.
- Acts as facilitator in the implementation of the TTISS program in conjunction with Health Canada and
- Participates in data submission to both the Public Health Agency of Canada TTISS Working Group and the Atlantic Collaborative Working Group for the appropriate programs.
^ Top of Page
Provincial Blood Coordinating Program
Department of Health & Community Services
Acute Health Services and Emergency Response
P.O. Box 8700
1st Floor, West Block, Confederation Building
Tel: (709) 729-5246
Fax: (709) 729-4009
^ Top of Page