Blood Coordinating Program
In December 2005, the Department of Health and Community Services established a Provincial Blood Coordinating Program to help ensure that blood
components and blood products are utilized in a safe and efficient manner. The Program provides leadership and support to the Regional Health
Authorities (RHAs) and Canadian Blood Services to ensure blood components and blood products are managed safely and effectively for all health
The Provincial Blood Coordinating Program Office:
- Serves as liaison between the RHA and the Provincial Government regarding Blood Product Management.
- Acts as facilitator in the development of Quality Systems with the objective to meet compliance requirements set out in the CSA Z902-10 Standards for Blood and Blood Components and the Canadian Society for Transfusion Medicine Standards for Hospital Transfusion Services.
- Acts as Chair/Co-chair on the Provincial Blood Reference Group.
- Participates as a member of the Transfusion Committees for the RHAs when requested.
- Acts as coordinator to collect data on the utilization of Intravenous Immune Globulin (IVIG) within the province, compile data received and liaise with the IVIG Atlantic Collaborative Working Group to compile reports on utilization.
- Is a member of the National Technical Working Group for the Public Health Agency of Canada’s Transfusion Transmitted Injuries Surveillance System (TTISS) program.
- Acts as facilitator in the implementation of the TTISS program in conjunction with Health Canada and
- Participates in data submission to both the Public Health Agency of Canada TTISS Working Group and the Atlantic Collaborative Working Group for the appropriate programs.
Provincial Blood Coordinating Program
Department of Health & Community Services
Acute Health Services, Emergency Management and Nursing Policy
P.O. Box 8700
1st Floor, West Block, Confederation Building
Tel: (709) 729-5246
Tel: (709) 729-5250
Tel: (709) 729-6573
Fax: (709) 729-4009
^ Top of Page