Health and Community Services

Illness Investigations

Illness caused by infectious agents in the environment are investigated by Environmental Health Officers. This includes single cases of illness and outbreaks involving two or more people. Investigations are carried out to identify the source of the illness so that:

  • The magnitude of the outbreak is limited; and
  • Future outbreaks from the same or similar sources can be prevented.

Who should I contact if I think I have become ill from food or water that I have consumed?

If you have severe diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, fever, or a combination of these symptoms, you may have a gastrointestinal illness caused by the consumption of contaminated food or water (e.g., food poisoning) and you should see your family doctor. Your family doctor can arrange for specimens of your stool(feces) to be tested to determine the cause of your illness.

If you have family members, friends or you are aware of others who are also having the same symptoms, you should contact public health officials at your local Regional Health Authority office or an Environmental Health Officer at the local Government Service Centre to report a possible food poisoning outbreak.

Last Updated:
This page and all contents are copyright, Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, all rights reserved.